My easy go to “I need some protein and Omega 3’s now is…. Sardines. I can hear you now…. “EWWWWwwwwwww!'” But if you knew just how good a little ole can of sardines were… you just may grab a few tins today…. and woof one down tonight! An easy and the best portable source of OMEGA 3’s…. with a whopping 1,950 mg/per 3 ounce…. More than salmon or tuna!
- Vitamin B12: One of the b vitamins and also known as cobalamin, vitamin B12 is important in the normal functioning of the brain, nervous system and blood formation. It also plays a role in the metabolism of cells and affects DNA synthesis and regulation.
- Selenium: Known as an effective antioxidant, selenium can help in the prevention of cancer by repairing free radicals in the body. It also helps maintain normal thyroid functions and the immune system.
- Vitamin D: Vitamin D is a vital nutrient that helps absorption of calcium a mineral crucial in the formation, growth, and strengthening of the bones. It also protects the immune system and has anti-inflammatory properties linked to the prevention of cancer.
- Phosphorus: Phosphorus not only helps synthesize protein for the maintenance of cells and tissues, it also plays a role in the formation of bones and teeth
- Calcium: Often associated with milk, calcium is known to strengthen and build strong bones and teeth.
- Vitamin B3: Also known as niacin, vitamin B3 is vital in the skin, digestive and nervous system. Research has shown it may help prevent Alzheimer’s disease, help convert food to energy and promote skin repair.
- Vitamin B2: One of the b vitamins and also known as riboflavin, vitamin B2 helps metabolize fats, carbohydrates and proteins, and can affect DNA synthesis, regulation and energy production.
- Amino Acids: Our body needs essential amino acids to carry its day-to-day functions normally. Sardines are rich in amino acids that help support joint cartilage, create collagen, regulate insulin and help the digestive tract. Some of such amino acids include tryptophan, lysine, tyrosine and methionine.
A superfood in their own right…. Add a can a week and see how much better you start feeling with all those vitamins and minerals!